Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Week 10 Blog


Opportunities Unlimited!!

In class we....

In class today, we worked with students from opportunities unlimited! We broke up into groups of 3 and met a new friend. My group worked with Jason! Jason was a really nice guy. He was very respectful, and fun to be around. I think Jason had a good time working with us! First, we walked around campus looking for fun things to take pictures of. We let our creative minds flow and asked Jason to help us as well. Jason came up with some great ideas for the project and enjoyed it when we followed through on his ideas.

I noticed...

I noticed that Jason really liked doing hands on activities. When he did not have anything to do he got easily bored and started zoning out, but when he had something in his hands, or something to focus on, he was very helpful. I think that Jason most enjoyed playing with the puzzle like pieces in the middle of the room. The play-doh was fun, but there's only so much you can do with play-doh.

Opportunities unlimited consists of individuals with special needs. I noticed when working with our friend Jason, and watching other groups work with their new friends, that these individuals did not all have the same disabilities. Chapter 10 addresses children with disabilities in hearing. A disability in hearing can lead to disabilities in language, speech and communication as well. It is important for all students with these disabilities to receive treatment at the earliest stages so that they may communicate with others as best as possible

The Developmental Disability Alliance of Western New York (DDAWNY) is a place where anyone with a developmental disability may go to receive proper treatment and help. This website is designed to include both the individual with a developmental disability as well as this individual's family.

I had some difficulty finding a website that offers the purchase of auditory assistive technology, however I found quite a few websites with information regarding the use of such technology such as cochlear implants. The Medel website allowed me to research cochlear implants myself and learn a bit more about them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I read your comments on Jenna's blog. Nice job.

    For this entry check for spelling, upload an image from Flickr and a hyperlink might be effective.
    Can you find a school in WNY that focuses on serving students with auditory impairments?
    Also - can you post a hyperlink to a website that sells Assistive Technology specific to helping students who are deaf in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I agree with the play dough comment.
    Hopefully, I'm modeling real teaching - not perfection. Sometimes activities work great, and other times not so much.
    Some might argue that this type of activity is too "surface level" and carries little meaning.

    ReplyDelete